Tuesday 3 April 2007

Sumo

March 2007

All I can say is that there is nothing quite like big mens bottoms in the morning - as long as it's for sumo! Yes I finally got to see sumo! Just walking to the stadium was exciting as there were sumo players walking around the streets of Osaka in coloured kimonos with their packed lunches. We entered the stadium and were shown our seats and the tournament had already begun. The referee sings the players names and uses a fan to signal the start of the match. The chants and songs sounded amazing so I bought the CD. Amateur players started and as the day progressed the professional players began. When the professional players started they paraded out in their ceremonial outfits first. Walking around the stadium we found that you could see behind the stage and see the sumo players stretching and warming up before their match. I was taking photos of them when a little man waved at me. I didn't think too much of it until I realized that he was actually waving me over! (In Japan the "come here" gesture is different to Australia - sort of upside down!) I followed him and he took me right up to the sumo ring as he had seats near there. It was so good to see it close up! I thanked him and then went to find the other Australians who by this time thought I had been squashed!

This is one big man!


Sumo players stretching and getting ready!


The view from my seat up close thanks to the little man!


The professional players parade.

2 comments:

Tinz said...

I was relieved to find out that you hadn't been squashed!!

Marie said...

That was a heaps cool day! I like sumo wrestlers! They are very ookii!