Sunday 1 April 2007

Himeji

January 2007

I am living in Himeji which is a very beautiful city and very similar to Adelaide in size. It is situated about an hour by train south west of Osaka. There is an amazing castle here which is know as the white heron castle and is over 400 years old. It is one of the few castles that has not been rebuilt.I am lucky enough to ride my bike past it every day on the way to the train station.
I bought a bike! Yes amazing but true I am riding a bike! My bike cost 13900 Yen and it's silver with gears! I had to test it in the car park as the shop assistants kept saying I needed a bigger one - i ended up with the second largest one! I had to push it most of the way home as I was so out of practice! I ride my bike a lot here and all bikes have a basket on the front – some also on the back! So not what we would ride at home but everyone here has one! It makes shopping easy but I always manage to buy too much and end up with bags hanging off everywhere! Also because everyone rides here there is even a bike park!



My apartment is very small but cosy and I still don’t understand how it works but my kitchen is in the hallway! There are 8 Australians living in my apartment block along with about 14 Americans. We are all teaching English in Junior High Schools or High Schools and usually once a week in a primary school.
My apartment!



The view from my balcony!

The communal balcony with seats outside my apartment.

My electronic toilet! It has a seat warmer (yuck!) and many other buttons which I am too scared to push!

1 comment:

Jono and Jodi in Japan said...

top work tiger... nice start... what kind of a name is roren anyway? Where does a name like that come from?