Tuesday 3 April 2007

Miyajima

February 2007

Miyajima is an island off Hiroshima (10minute ferry ride). I have always wanted to visit Miyajima as it is where the floating torii is. The torii (red gate) is used at entrances to shrines which means the area is sacred. This torii is in the water to show that the whole island is sacred - no one is to be born or die on the island, no trees are cut down or animals killed.You can see the torii from the ferry - it's just an amazing site! I was very excited to finally be able to see it.

The beautiful torii!!!!


Marie, Tina, Steve and I.


We visited Itsukushima shrine, saw many deer and went up to Mt Misen by cable car to see wild monkeys - no cages just running around like crazy! Miyajima is one of my new favourite places in Japan (sure this list will be very long by the end of the year!).

This monkey had climbed up on to the balcony and was looking down at everyone!


View from Mt Misen looking across the bay to Hiroshima.


Funny one of Marie and I in a shop in Miyajima!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Miyajima was one of my favourite places. I would like to go back and take my time climbing Mt Missen. Those face masks are so funny. They crack me up every time I look at them!