Wednesday 11 April 2007

Kyoto

March 2007

Renee and I went to Kyoto for 2 days in the spring break. We went to Kitano Tenman-gu shrine to start with where there was a huge flea market. It is only held on the 25th of each month so we were lucky to be there on the right day.



There was so much to look at from kimonos to plates to food! I bought a second hand kimono for 1000 Yen (about $10) – it needs a few stitches and a good wash but it will be good to wear in summer as PJ’s. I saw an amazing kimono for 20000 Yen (about $200) which I would love to have – I might have to save for that one! I also bought a bamboo whisk that is used to make green tea. Renee and I then went to my favourite place in Kyoto – Kinkaku-ji – the golden pavilion.



We then made our way to Yoshi-ima ryokan (traditional Japanese inn). Renee had booked the ryokan as a thankyou present for staying with me. She didn’t have to but it was such a great experience I am glad she did! We were greeted by women in kimonos and taken through a beautiful garden, almost a bamboo forest to our room. Getting there required a few slipper changes!





A lady in kimono then came and served us Japanese tea and a Japanese sweet. She came back at 7pm to serve dinner (we ate in our room). Dinner was a huge variety of traditional Japanese food, all tasted wonderful apart from the white fish! (I just can’t do it!)



She then cleared away our dishes, moved the table and set up our futons. We then went wandering in the Gion district and were lucky enough to see a Maiko (apprentice Geisha) dashing off somewhere and beautiful sakura (cherry blossoms)!


Breakfast was served at 8 am in our room and the same lady in kimono came back to pack away our beds and set the table with breakfast. I wasn’t sure about fish for breakfast but it was quite good!



We then headed off for Kiyomizu-dera. Kiyomizu-dera features in the movie “Memoirs of a Geisha”. There are many parts to it – the main temple which is 1000 years old, a pagoda and other shrines. There is a love shrine and you can buy charms there – I bought Shoji and I the one for long distance love to bind our love!





The Love Shrine


Kiyomizu-dera means pure water. There are 3 streams of water sprouting from the rock wall and it is very good if you catch it and drink it.



There is a winding road lined with pottery shops and souvenirs leading down from Kiyomizu-dera. While walking down this road we saw two Maiko girls. We then went to Ryoan-ji temple which has an amazing rock garden. Although I had already visited nearly all of these places before it was still a great experience. I love Kyoto!!!!





2 comments:

Tinz said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time in Kyoto. The place you stayed in looked wicked!

Marie said...

I can`t wait to see the Golden Pavilion when I go to Kyoto. Your pictures are so good I wish I could walk straight into them and see what you got to see!