Sunday 17 August 2008

Heian Shrine in Kyoto

16th August

Kyoto is one of my favourite places in Japan as each time I go there there is always something new to see and some favourite places to visit. Yesterday Ferra-Lynn (another JET teacher from my apartment) and I spent the afternoon in a very rainy, humid Kyoto. We visited the Heian Shrine which was new for me and then spent some time shopping and looking around in Kyoto.

The huge torii leading to the shrine


The Heian shrine was built in 1895 and is Kyoto's newest and largest shrine.


Me in front of the shrine


Inside the shrine grounds


Ladies in Yukata (summer Kimono)


The colours are just so amazing especially on such an overcast day


I love looking at the plaques at shrines with peoples wishes on them - just wish I could read more Japanese!


What I love about Japan and especially Kyoto is the amazing things you can see just by looking down a side street or through a doorway. There are little shrines and interesting doorways all over the place if you are looking . . .


A beautiful doorway which was in the shopping mall


The river which is a popular spot in summer


The cool dining areas along the river

1 comment:

Tinz said...

Where abouts was this? It looks really pretty!!! You and those wishing hanging things :P