Wednesday 8 August 2007

Hanabi Matsuri - Shikama and Osaka

28th July and 1st August 2007

In summer in Japan there are many Hanabi Matsuri (fireworks festivals). Many people wear yukata (summer kimono), eat yum festival food and the weather is just perfect for watching the fireworks.

I got to see two fireworks festivals - one in Shikama (near Himeji) and one in Osaka. They were both fantastic!

The festival in Shikama was good as Tina and I wore our yukata and the fireworks were over the water. The full moon was also in the perfect postion!

Tina and I in our yukata walking to the bus stop.


Everyone waiting for the fireworks.


The beautiful hanabi!






This is my favourite photo- the moon is in the perfect position!


Tina and I went out after the festival to a bar in town and as it was so hot we made "new style" yukatas! We made them short and sleeveless! (And yes I tied my own obi!)


We met up with Chelsea, Taube and Julian too (they live in our apartment block). It was a great night!


The festival in Osaka is meant to be the biggest fireworks festival in the world! and there were so many fireworks!









There were so many fireworks going off that the sky looked like it was on fire!


Both fireworks festivals were really good and I love that in Japan there are always different festivals in each season.

1 comment:

Tinz said...

Hanabi is soooo cool. I love how the fire works in Japan last for about an hour. That's sooo cool. It was good to dress up in our Yukata again too :-) I like our Lauren and Tina style Yukata the best hehehe :-)