Monday 14 May 2007

Golden week holiday 2/5/07 – 6/5/07

May 2007 – Nagasaki

This week we only had to work for 2 days as there were 3 public holidays. Marie, Tina, I decided to book a trip away to Nagasaki and Fukuoka/Hakata which is on Kyushu, the end island of Japan. We left after work on Wednesday and it took about 4 hours to get to Nagasaki by shinkansen. I was starting to get sick so we went to our hotel and I went to bed. I woke up the next morning feeling worse and Tina, Marie and I went to the hospital/doctors surgery. It was my first visit to the doctors since being in Japan and was a little interesting! Being asked if I had “pregnancies” was one question! But he could speak fairly good English and told me I had pharyngitis and laryngitis and gave me many bags of tablets to take!

After we had finished at the hospital we walked to Hollander slope- an area with old western style houses. Nagasaki has a very multicultural history with Portuguese, Dutch and Chinese influences. We then decided to head to china town and on the way saw a brightly coloured roof which stood out compared to the normal houses around it. Marie and I decided to go in (and we finally convinced Tina to also!) and it was the historical museum of China and a Confucian shrine. It is the only Confucian shrine to be built outside of China and the land that it stands on is controlled by the Chinese embassy in Tokyo. It was an amazing shrine and museum.

Confucian shrine.




We then got a nice take away lunch in China town and headed to Glover Garden. Well of course we couldn’t find the garden so we ended up asking for help! This little lady was so cute she put her shoes on grabbed her basket and headed off to show us the way! Once again showing how friendly and kind Japanese people are! The garden had old western houses that once belonged to European merchants and it overlooked the harbour it was a really nice garden and it was such beautiful weather to be out in.

China town.


View from the top of the garden.


One of the houses in the garden.


We then wandered down a souvenir shop street and tried the famous Castella cake which is a traditional cake of Nagasaki but was introduced by the Portuguese. I bought the green tea version which was so good! However our dinner was a different story! We thought we should have Chinese so we tried a few restaurants only to find them full or closing but finally found one that could fit us in. Well Tina and I ordered ok food but Marie thinking she had ordered beef with beans was served a cold plate of something looking like cabbage! She tried some and didn’t like it at all, so Tina and I tried some too and were also shocked at how crunchy and strange it tasted! The man across the table tried to explain what it was by saying "sea" and flapping his arms! We thought the worst and thought sea urchin but Marie later found out that it was a type of seaweed! The worst part was her dinner cost almost twice what Tina’s and mine did!

The very interesting dinner!

2 comments:

Tinz said...

I love going away with you Roren it is so much fun!!

Marie said...

Well I now never to order きくらげ EVER again!