Monday 20 April 2009

School

March

Well the end of the school year is here which means that it is time to change schools. I have loved working at my Junior High School and really got to know the teachers and students so I am a little sad to leave. I got some lovely cards and letters from the students and a beautiful bunch of flowers. I went to a farewell Enkai (party) for all the teachers leaving the school which included me. We had an amazing dinner and then it was time for speeches. First you get on stage and a teacher that worked with you reads you a speech about you and then you respond with a speech and then you get flowers and a bag with envelopes. I was watching all the other speeches and thought this will be interesting if they say mine in Japanese (last time I had to have someone translate) but when it was my turn the English teacher I worked with came up with another teacher that speaks English! The speech was read in English and translated to Japanese! Some of the things they said were funny and also embarrassing! After the dinner party we went to a snack bar where we did karaoke and ate snacks! When I got home I opened the bag full of envelopes and found 2 handbags and about $270 in the envelopes. It is Japanese tradition to give about $30 to someone if they leave a workplace so they can buy something rather than you buying something. However I think this was way over the top! I was happy with the flowers! I really hope to return to that school in September when I change schools again!

The enkai party


Hirakawa sensei and I


The view from the restaurant - so beautiful with cherry blossoms


My presents


My flowers

No comments: