Tuesday 25 September 2007

Sports Day at Joken Junior High School

16th September

Ever since starting at Joken Junior High School about 2 weeks ago it has all been about sports day! Every day has been practice, practice, practice! So finally the day came to see it all!

The morning began with all the teams marching to the amazing school band and the principal giving a speech.




The students then participated in various running and relay events.



The students were in 3 teams – red, blue and yellow and they each performed a dance to cheer for their team! The best one was the blue team as their captain was so excited and they did it to a Black Eyed Peas song and he was singing all the words!

Students then did the “centipede” relay. The students are lined up with their feet attached to 2 long planks of wood. It is really funny as if they aren’t perfectly in time they all fall onto one another!



It was then time for the biggest skip-a-thon ever! I have never seen so many students skipping together – it was amazing that it was possible! The rope was huge!



All the teachers got a yum bento box for lunch!


Students in clubs dressed in their uniforms and marched displaying awards and trophies that they had won.



Then all the guests, including me were asked to participate in this game where you had to throw soft bean bag like balls into a really high basket. I saw maybe 2 go in that I threw! It was fun and our team won!



It was then time for the boys to do their performance which consisted of formations and mini human towers, followed by bigger and bigger towers and ending with the “castle” which has 5 tiers and about 40 students are involved! During practice usually only one group would get the castle to it’s full height but today all 3 did! I was amazed during practice as one fell down and it is pretty tall but only one student had a blood nose! Very lucky!













Then it was the girls turn and they did a traditional dance from Hokkaido which is about fishing. It was such a good dance and some of the dance moves seemed really difficult. But to see 150 students all in time was amazing!





We then had a closing ceremony and sadly the day was over. I had heaps of fun and I really liked seeing sports day in Japan as it is so different to Australia.

Later it was time for all the teachers to go out for dinner and drinks to celebrate a successful sports day and to relax! We went to a Chinese restaurant in Himeji and then on to karaoke! During the night as the teachers had a few drinks many of them began to speak English! I was talking with the English teacher and she said since I love Japan I should find a Japanese husband and then she decided to tell the 3 single teachers at school that I am looking for a husband! So embarrassing! So then I had them offering their services – one teacher said he will be a candidate for me! It was very funny but hopefully by Tuesday when I go back to school they would have forgotten all about it!

1 comment:

Tinz said...

I hope my sports day looks as good as this one! Have your candidates said any more on the issue????